The Braised Beef Stew or commonly known to Filipinos as Beef Pares, are cubed tenderised beef cooked with different spices and served perfectly with garlic fried rice or noodles.
I remember during the 90’s when Beef Pares boomed Quezon City and blasted nationwide. There were Pares House everywhere! My Mom was in Canada during those times when my Papa brings us Beef Pares to eat for dinner. It’s so yummy! I love eating in Pares House near our place where it was loaded with people and the heat from their kitchen is unbelievable tolerable while sipping the piping hot tasty soup of Beef Pares. I remembered how we sweat while eating there, but we’ve enjoyed it at the same time. Even three working ventilation and considering the Pares House is an open restaurant, it can’t beat the heat. Those were the days, and they’re memorable.
Braised Beef Stew (Beef Pares) Recipe
1/2 kg or 1 pound beef brisket
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 cup brown sugar
2-3 tablespoon ginger, minced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, minced
4 cups of water
2 pieces star anise
2 tablespoon cooking oil
3 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
How to Make Braised Beef Stew (Beef Pares)?
1. Boil 4 cups of water in the pot.
2. Put in the beef brisket and bring to a boil for 1-2 hours (30-40 minutes if using pressure cooker). Set aside when the beef tender.
3. In a pan, heat oil and saute garlic, onion, and ginger.
4. Add the beef and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
5. Add soy sauce, sugar, ground pepper, and 1 cup beef stock, then bring to a boil.
6. Put in star anise and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
7. Garnish with green onions on top.
Serve and enjoy this Braised Beef Stew (Beef Pares) with family and friends!
- The secret to best Braised Beef Stew (Beef Pares) is a tenderised beef. To be able to achieve this, make sure slice the beef against the grain, cook it nice and slow (or you could cheat by boiling it in a pressure cooker for 30-40 minutes).
- Spices are really important, add that star anise. Brown sugar makes it really sweet and adds balance to the dish.
- Don’t forget the green onions on top. It definitely adds a good flavour to the stew.
Did you make this Braised Beef Stew (Beef Pares)? Please leave us a comment below.